Sometimes you just want a meal of really clean, crisp flavours, preferably without any meat or milk. Just delicious, nutritious things which can be cooked quickly. This really fits the bill!
- a block of firm tofu enough for two (about 350g)
- a cucumber
- two handfuls of puy lentils
- a handful of toasted cashew nuts or peanuts
- a handful of alfalfa or other sprouts
- a handful of cooked asparagus or green beans, cold, sliced
- bright, fresh herbs, like basil, mint, coriander or dill
- juice of a lemon
- olive oil
Cube the tofu and shallow-fry it for a few minutes on each side, until golden and crisp. Meanwhile, boil the lentils - they usually take 20-25 minutes. Cut the cucumber in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds, then cube. Dice the herbs. When the tofu is cooled and the lentils are cooked, drain them and toss everything together, along with the lemon juice and olive oil. Taste for seasoning. You could probably chill this for a day or two, minus the olive oil, but it was devoured quickly at our house!