Wednesday 22 June 2011

Refried Beans

This is a classic recipe we use in my family all the time. Tonight it makes up the protein component of a vegetarian meal I put together. I really felt like some grilled aubergines, so I sliced one thickly and marinaded the slices in some lemon juice and mild curry powder, then grilled them under a medium heat until they were crisp on the outside and falling-apart tender on the inside. The beans offered a sweet and filling contrast - I added chorizo but I skip this for the vegan recipe below.

Ingredients:

  • a small white onion
  • two cloves of garlic
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds, crushed
  • 1 400g tin of kidney beans
  • half a red chilli (optional)

Finely chop the white onion and fry it gently in some vegetable oil until golden. Crush in the garlic, add the cumin seeds and chilli, and fry for a further minute. Drain the kidney beans and tip them in, then crush into the fried onions with a potato masher. Cook gently for 10 minutes, then crush again and serve. If using as a topping (e.g. on huevos rancheros), you can use a hand blender to achieve a finer texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment