Wednesday 2 May 2012

Nasu Dengaku and Wasabi Broccoli

Nasu dengaku is a Japanese glazed eggplant (aubergine) dish that I discovered a few years ago in a lovely little restaurant in London. Since then I find it hard NOT to order, since it's so wonderful and every restaurant does it slightly differently. My favourite style is where they give you one HUGE slice of aubergine, with fat stripes of slightly different glaze across it, like chilli, sweet, and wasabi. Today I thought I'd start with the basic recipe, adapted from this helpful website. Their photos are a lot better than mine - I forgot to put the sesame seeds on at the end! I won't even repost the recipe because it was exactly right for one aubergine, and I didn't change it at all.


Recently we went to a great local Chinese restaurant and they had an 'Innovation Menu', which included 'wasabi beef'. This turned out to be thinly sliced pieces of beef, quickly fried and coated in a thick but somehow not overpowering wasabi sauce. I tried to replicate it today, using mince instead to save money while I worked out the recipe. Couldn't get the sauce quite right so I will keep iterating and see what I can come up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment