Saturday 16 January 2016

Gazpacho

I was first served gazpacho by my family in Provence, a couple of years ago when I visited after a conference. Naturally it was achingly hot outside, which is the perfect time, perhaps the only time, for cold soup. But this gazpacho is far tastier than that sounds! I could not believe how refreshing and zingy it was, and now I've finally replicated it down under, I'm looking forward to whizzing it up whenever I need a light and refreshing lunch.

Ingredients
  • 500g fresh tomatoes
  • half a cucumber
  • a red pepper
  • a slice of bread, preferably stale
  • a clove of garlic
  • 1tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 50ml wine vinegar
  • 50ml olive oil
  • a fresh chilli (optional)
  • basil leaves, Tabasco, pepper, olive oil to serve
Cut off the stem bits of the tomato, pepper, chilli if using, and skin and crush the garlic. Chuck everything in a liquidiser and pulse until well blended. Serve in little glasses with little spoons, topped with basil leaves, and with extra olive oil, black pepper and Tabasco on hand to add to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment