Wednesday 23 March 2011

Portabella Bun with Taleggio

I popped into the Cambridge Cheese Company at the weekend, and bought some painfully expensive but excellent taleggio, partly inspired by the Stickybeaks supper club I attended a few weeks ago. I thought it would go very well on a couple of juicy portabella mushrooms in between some soft buns. I was right!

Two buns served me for dinner, and one would serve one person for lunch. Very hungry people might want some chips and/or salad on the side.

Ingredients:
  • 2 large portabella mushrooms (they shrink when cooked)
  • 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp mixed herbs
  • 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 garlic clove, crushed
  • 2 tbsp water or chicken stock
  • a few thick slices of taleggio
  • lettuce, tomato, or your favourite sandwich leaf
  • nice soft buns or ciabatta rolls
  • HP sauce (optional)

Combine the vinegar, sugar, salt, herbs, Worcestershire sauce, garlic and water or stock, and pour over the two mushrooms; marinade at room temperature for at least half an hour, preferably more.

Preheat the grill to a moderate heat, then grill the portabellos about 5 minutes each side: do the round sides first and finish with the gills upright, so as to capture the juices. I've tried frying them in the past, and it works ok but tends to sear the outsides before the inner meat is properly cooked.

Combine on a toasted bun with the rest of the ingredients; I know my youngest sister would then slather with HP sauce and I can't say I blame her :)

No comments:

Post a Comment